Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation
If you or one of your staff member’s witness, are informed of, or suspect an incident of abuse, neglect, or exploitation, or any incident that has the potential to place an Enrollee, or an Enrollee's services, at risk, you are mandated by CMS, the Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services (HFS) and Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) to report the allegation immediately.
Examples of incidents subject to mandatory reporting requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Neglect. When an individual fails to provide or withhold the necessities of life, including, but not limited to, food, clothing, shelter, or medical care.
- Abuse. Causing any physical, sexual or mental injury to an individual, including exploitation of the individual’s financial resources.
- Bodily harm. Any injury, damage or impairment to an individual’s physical condition, or making physical contact of an insulting or provoking nature with an individual.
- Mental abuse. The use of demeaning, intimidating or threatening words, signs, gestures or other actions about an individual or individuals that results in emotional distress or maladaptive behavior, or could have resulted in emotional distress or maladaptive behavior, for any individual present.
- Physical abuse. Non-accidental and inappropriate contact with an individual that causes bodily harm.
- Sexual abuse. Any sexual behavior, sexual contact or intimate physical contact,including coercion or encouragement of an individual to engage in sexual activity that results in sexual contact, intimate physical contact, sexual behavior or intimate physical behavior.
- Financial Exploitation. Using an individuals financial resources without consent. This includes improper use of guardianship or power of attorney.
Critical Incident Reporting Guidelines
|REFERRAL ENTITY||WHEN TO REFER|
|Adult Protective Services||To report suspected abuse, neglect, or financial exploitation of a member age 60 or older or a member with disabilities age 18-59.|
|Office of the Inspector General||To report suspected abuse, neglect, financial exploitation or death of members with a disability who reside in or receive mental health/developmental disability services from DHS-operated or DHS-funded agencies.|
|Illinois Department of Public Health - NF Complaint Hotline||To report suspected abuse, neglect, or financial exploitation of members living in nursing facilities (NF).|
|HFS - SLF Complaint Hotline||To report suspected abuse, neglect, or financial exploitation of members living in skilled facilities (SLF).|
|Child Abuse Hotline||If you suspect that a child has been harmed or is at risk of being harmed by abuse or neglect.|
Ways to Report Critical Incidents
- MeridianTotal Provider Services: 877-941-0482
- Office of Inspector General: 800-368-1463
- Adult Protective Services: 866-800-1409
- Child Abuse Hotline: 800-252-2873
- Skilled Living Facility Complaint Hotline: 800-226-0768
- Nursing Facility Complaint Hotline: 800-252-4343
Reporting Guidelines for Children and Youth served by DCFS
- Child’s DCFS/POS Worker.
- State Central Register Hotline 800-252-2873 for incidents of child or youth deaths, suspected child abuse or neglect and human trafficking.
- Child Intake and Recovery Unit 800-503-0184 for incidents involving children or youth missing or abducted from their placement. Incidents must be reported within 1 hour.
Please refer to DCFS Procedure 331 (PDF) for further details on reporting requirements for children and youth served by DCFS.